Nov 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Festivities: The Antidote of Gratitude


Thanksgiving Festivities: The Antidote of Gratitude

“Gratitude is the antidote. It is useful in combating a variety of diseases, from something as vague as the discontents of civilization to something as specific as personal grief. Thanksgiving is the holiday of gratitude, and I am always willing to celebrate it.
Jon Carroll, San Francisco Chronicle, 11-27-2008

Antidote: something that relieves, prevents, or counteracts, says my dictionary. Right now I could use an antidote for anxiety. Seeing my grandson, Evan, sitting with his laptop in the recliner, counting the days (six), until the first corrective hip surgery that will relieve his immobility and his pain. After it heals some, then the second hip surgery. And then he will be able to resume his interrupted old life. For which I will be everlastingly grateful.

It makes me happy to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family and to be with Evan.



“I like food,” says Evan. Me too. The six of us have made significant inroads into the gigantic Costco pumpkin pie. As well as the divine pumpkin-ginger-cheese-pie that Laurie brought. A festival of pumpkin. A festival of family.

Love,
ama

No comments: