May 26, 2009

Industrial Snapshots: Postcards from Industrial City, Emeryville, USA

i am blank tonight
maybe i should let the-little-city-that-could
speak for itself

there was a woman in a little red car in this tiny alley who looked at me funny through her rearview mirror
afterwards, I fantasized about returning with a snapshot postcard to leave in her mailbox so she could see I was making art, not casing houses on the street, scoping out marks for later
"look at this!" i'd say. "isn't it beautiful?!"

i imagined residents stepping outside to retrieve their mail
and finding postcards of the charming views they see everyday from their stoops across the street

emeryville, california
i like you a lot

:) laurie

13 comments:

ama said...

Absolutely stunning pictures! I love your colorization, it raises them to ever-new heights!

love,
ama

ArtSparker said...

I like Emeryville, were you living nearby when there were statues in the mud flats? and yes, more messages left for people to find everywhere.

Evan Neff said...

Are these taken with the Rebel? I really like them, as I do all of your pics. I love the colors!

Laurie Cannon said...

Funny you should mention it, ArtSparker...just the other day I was speeding by the Emeryville mudflats on my way to SF, remembering the statues. I remember when the city cracked down on the sculptures. A sad day. Now I can't decide whether I prefer pristine Mother Nature to arty human follies.

I agree, it would be cool to leave messages!

Laurie Cannon said...

Evan, I'm amused. Those pics were all taken with the Easyshare. Thanks for your comps. I'm gonna get on the Rebel for next time, I promise! Thanks, ama, too.

Evan Neff said...

Yeah I was surprised because it looked a lot like the pics from the easyshare. And it WAS the easyshare. But the still look good.

Laurie Cannon said...

Oh, I get it, Evan...the pics look like Easyshare, not the Rebel, and your hunch was right.

Laurie Cannon said...

I should do an "A/B".
Same pictures with the Rebel.

Evan Neff said...

Yeah that'd be interesting

Mushi said...

I love these pictures. They're full of life and colours. Make me feel happy. :)

Laurie Cannon said...

Thanks, Mushi.
They make me feel happy too.
I love this little city!
The clouds were very beautiful that day because it had rained.

Unnecessary J said...

the pink house on top looks like a lego... super post :]

Laurie Cannon said...

Thanks, 'J'.
I love this little corner in Emeryville.
It's quirky and colorful.